Useful Links

About Headway

Headway the brain injury association was set up as a national organisation in 1979.  Since then groups and branches affiliated to Headway UK have developed across the British Isles.

Headway Leicester started in 1990 from humble beginnings with one part-time member of staff.  Today we employ 19 full and part-time staff, operate a 5 days a week day service and city and countywide (including Rutland) outreach service.

We have a board of 14 Trustees with a wealth and skills of knowledge and an army of willing volunteers from a diverse range of backgrounds.

Who do we help?

1)         Adults

Adults between the ages of 18-65 living in Leicestershire and Rutland with an acquired or traumatic brain injury.

  • Acquired brain injury

A brain injury occurring since birth due to a haemorrhage, aneurysm, tumour, infection, AV malformation, stroke.

  • Traumatic brain injury

A brain injury occurring since birth due to assault, fall, road traffic accident, force or trauma to the head.

2)         Families/carers

We can give advice and information from an early stage; often taking referrals whilst individuals are still in hospital.

3)         Professionals

We can give talks and presentations on the work we do and basic information about brain injury and its effects.  We can also offer volunteering opportunities to those studying courses relevant to brain injury, eg physiotherapy, occupational therapy, psychology and speech and language therapy.

4)         Awareness raising

We are always happy to give talks and presentations to interested groups which can include community/social groups, schools and colleges, youth groups, etc.

5)          Funding

We receive approximately 66% of our funding from City and County social care departments and Primary Care Trusts.  The remaining 34%is raised through grants and gifts and donation.



Investors in people logo © Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Headway.
A Company Limited by Guarantee, registered in England No.36772087. Registered Charity No. 1074011
4 Hospital Close, Leicester LE5 4WP Tel: 0116 2739763 Fax: 0116 2733212 Email: Headway@HeadwayLeicester.org.uk